1. Now these are the names of the children of Israel, which came
into Egypt; every man and his household came with Jacob.
2. Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, 3. Issachar, Zebulun, and
Benjamin, 4. Dan, and Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.
5. And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy
souls: for Joseph was in Egypt already.
6. And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation.
7. And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased
abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land
was filled with them.
8. Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
9. And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of
Israel are more and mightier than we: 10. Come on, let us deal wisely
with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there
falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight
against us, and so get them up out of the land.
11. Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with
their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and
12. But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and
And they were grieved because of the children of Israel.
13. And the Egyptians made the children of Israel to serve with
rigour: 14. And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in
morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all
their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour.
15. And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the
name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah: 16. And
he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and
see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but
if it be a daughter, then she shall live.
17. But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt
commanded them, but saved the men children alive.
18. And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto
them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children
alive? 19. And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew
women are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are
delivered ere the midwives come in unto them.
20. Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people
multiplied, and waxed very mighty.
21. And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he
made them houses.
22. And Pharaoh charged all his people, saying, Every son that is
born ye shall cast into the river, and every daughter ye shall save