1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
Word was God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing
made that was made.
4. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended
6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that
all men through him might believe.
8. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into
10. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world
knew him not.
11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the
sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13. Which were
born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of
man, but of God.
14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld
his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of
grace and truth.
15. John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom
I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was
16. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
17. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus
18. No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is
in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
19. And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and
Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou? 20. And he
confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
21. And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am
not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
22. Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer
to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? 23. He said, I am
the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of
the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.
24. And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.
25. And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then,
if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet? 26.