1. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may
abound? 2. God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any
longer therein? 3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized
into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4. Therefore we are
buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised
up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should
walk in newness of life.
5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death,
we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6. Knowing
this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin
might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live
with him: 9. Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no
more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he
liveth, he liveth unto God.
11. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,
but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should
obey it in the lusts thereof.
13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness
unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from
the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under
the law, but under grace.
15. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but
under grace? God forbid.
16. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey,
his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of
obedience unto righteousness? 17. But God be thanked, that ye were
the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of
doctrine which was delivered you.
18. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of
19. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your
flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and
to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to
righteousness unto holiness.
20. For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from
21. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now
ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye
have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal
life through Jesus Christ our Lord.