1. These be the words which Moses spake unto all Israel on this side
Jordan in the wilderness, in the plain over against the Red sea,
between Paran, and Tophel, and Laban, and Hazeroth, and Dizahab.
2. (There are eleven days' journey from Horeb by the way of mount
Seir unto Kadeshbarnea.) 3. And it came to pass in the fortieth
year, in the eleventh month, on the first day of the month, that Moses
spake unto the children of Israel, according unto all that the LORD
had given him in commandment unto them; 4. After he had slain Sihon
the king of the Amorites, which dwelt in Heshbon, and Og the king of
Bashan, which dwelt at Astaroth in Edrei: 5. On this side Jordan, in
the land of Moab, began Moses to declare this law, saying, 6. The
LORD our God spake unto us in Horeb, saying, Ye have dwelt long enough
in this mount: 7. Turn you, and take your journey, and go to the
mount of the Amorites, and unto all the places nigh thereunto, in the
plain, in the hills, and in the vale, and in the south, and by the sea
side, to the land of the Canaanites, and unto Lebanon, unto the great
river, the river Euphrates.
8. Behold, I have set the land before you: go in and possess the land
which the LORD sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to
give unto them and to their seed after them.
9. And I spake unto you at that time, saying, I am not able to bear
you myself alone: 10. The LORD your God hath multiplied you, and,
behold, ye are this day as the stars of heaven for multitude.
11. (The LORD God of your fathers make you a thousand times so many
more as ye are, and bless you, as he hath promised you!) 12. How can
I myself alone bear your cumbrance, and your burden, and your strife?
13. Take you wise men, and understanding, and known among your
tribes, and I will make them rulers over you.
14. And ye answered me, and said, The thing which thou hast spoken is
good for us to do.
15. So I took the chief of your tribes, wise men, and known, and made
them heads over you, captains over thousands, and captains over
hundreds, and captains over fifties, and captains over tens, and
officers among your tribes.
16. And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes
between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his
brother, and the stranger that is with him.
17. Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the
small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man;
for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you,
bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
18. And I commanded you at that time all the things which ye should
19. And when we departed from Horeb, we went through all that great
and terrible wilderness, which ye saw by the way of the mountain of
the Amorites, as the LORD our God commanded us; and we came to
20. And I said unto you, Ye are come unto the mountain of the
Amorites, which the LORD our God doth give unto us.
21. Behold, the LORD thy God hath set the land before thee: go up and
possess it, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear
not, neither be discouraged.
22. And ye came near unto me every one of you, and said, We will send
men before us, and they shall search us out the land, and bring us
word again by what way we must go up, and into what cities we shall
23. And the saying pleased me well: and I took twelve men of you, one
of a tribe: 24. And they turned and went up into the mountain, and
came unto the valley of Eshcol, and searched it out.
25. And they took of the fruit of the land in their hands, and
brought it down unto us, and brought us word again, and said, It is a
good land which the LORD our God doth give us.
26. Notwithstanding ye would not go up, but rebelled against the
commandment of the LORD your God: 27. And ye murmured in your tents,
and said, Because the LORD hated us, he hath brought us forth out of
the land of Egypt, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to
28. Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart,
saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great
and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the
29. Then I said unto you, Dread not, neither be afraid of them.
30. The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you,
according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes; 31.