1. Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered
throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2. Elect
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through
sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the
blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which
according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively
hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4. To an
inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away,
reserved in heaven for you, 5. Who are kept by the power of God
through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be,
ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: 7. That the trial
of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth,
though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour
and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 8. Whom having not seen,
ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice
with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 9. Receiving the end of your
faith, even the salvation of your souls.
10. Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched
diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
11. Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which
was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings
of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
12. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us
they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them
that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down
from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
13. Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to
the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation
of Jesus Christ; 14. As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves
according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15. But as he which
hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16. Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
17. And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons
judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your
sojourning here in fear: 18. Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not
redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain
conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19. But with
the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without
spot: 20. Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the
world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21. Who by him
do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him
glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
22. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through
the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one
another with a pure heart fervently: 23. Being born again, not of
corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which
liveth and abideth for ever.
24. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower
of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25. But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word
which by the gospel is preached unto you.